Thursday, February 10, 2011

Picky Eater Day #2

I told myself this morning that I was going to be strong and not give in to my kids food requests.  They WILL eat what I give them today.  I thought since the kids didn't eat dinner last night that they'd be so hungry they'd eat whatever I gave them this morning for breakfast.  So, I decided to give them Oatmeal.  Luca used to like oatmeal a lot and would even eat 2 packets some days and again this summer he stopped eating oatmeal.  So, I gave them 1/2 packet of Oatmeal with raisins & milk that I warmed up for them and they didn't want it.  Olivia asked for cereal and Luca asked for toast, pancakes, waffles, and french toast.  I told them I would give them toast if they ate all of their oatmeal.  Nope.  After about an hour, Luca said he'd eat his oatmeal but he didn't want the raisins in it.  So, I helped him eat the oatmeal and removed the raisins (something I don't want to do but I felt bad for the kid I was getting desperate for him to eat)  He had three bites and was done.  I offered a snack at around 10:30-  a banana.  Luca asked for fruit snacks and I said he could either have a banana or the oatmeal he didn't finish, he chose the banana.  I sliced one banana and split it between the two of them.  Olivia didn't eat any of it "I don't want it!" is what she said.  Luca had two tiny bites and pushed the plate away from him.  He was done and I ended up eating the banana because I didn't want it to go to waste.  By this point they each drank one full sippy cup full of milk.

Here's Luca taking a half a bite of his banana slice.

Olivia just staring at her banana's. She's probably thinking "there's no way I'm eating that stuff!"

For lunch, I served chicken tetrazzini that I had made a while ago and had extra and froze them in small portions for the kids.  It has pasta, chicken, peas, mushrooms, and onions in a white cream sauce.  Olivia ate her entire bowl and Luca said "I want toast."  I told him he needed to eat his pasta.  He picked out about 3 or 4 noodles and ate it and pushed his plate away.  He asked to get down and I told him he needed to wait until Olivia was done eating.  As he waited, he pulled the plate towards him again and ate a couple more noodles and was done again.  Olivia finished her plate and asked for more.  So I gave her Luca's and she ate half of his plate and I of course praised for her being a good girl and eating all her food!  I gave them an apple afterwards and Luca did eat an entire large apple (about the size of my fist, maybe bigger) and Olivia ate a couple of slices of apples. I guess I would be happy if they ate at least 3/4 of the food I'm serving them?  Maybe that's just not realistic, but it would make me feel better. Crossing my fingers that Luca will eat his dinner tonight!


Olivia being a good girl and eating the entire plate and half of her brothers!

Luca is probably thinking "there are too many things I don't like in this dish!"



I guess Luca ate one good thing for lunch, an apple. 


I could tell the Luca weas hungry because he up crying and really cranky from their naps.   I offered them a clemintine for a snack before dinner and Luca asked for animal crackers.  I told him if he ate his clemintine I would give him some animal crackers.  Olivia ate 2 entire clemintines and asked for more.  Luca just picked at his.  He doesn't like the skin and tries to peel it off.  He maybe ate 2 pieces.  I made cheese ravioli that was and I put pesto sauce on it.  Olivia ate it all and asked for more which I gave her and she ate a total of 3 large ravioli.  Luca just sat there and cried that he didn't want it.  After a while he slowly started to eat some of it.  The ravioli are REALLY big so I gave him 3 and he ate 1 1/2.  Since we ate dinner early and Corey needed to read a case for work I told him I'd take the kids out of the house so Corey could work in peace.  I let the kids play in the play area  of the mall and I did buy them some pretzel sticks from Auntie Anne's that they did eat and were really happy about.  Now that I"m writing this down, it seems like Olivia is doing ok with her eating (other than oatmeal and bananas).  Luca is my picky eater. 

1 comment:

  1. You do such a good job with them. I allow a healthy snack in midmorning and a not so healthy one after "naps". They both know this and Cooper will tell you he needs a "helfy nack". They will even tell my mom they don't want junk. As far as meals, I would be happier with my kids eating the apple versus the pasta, etc. As long as they are not just eating the unhealthiest thing on the plate, they will be fine. Again, phases and by summer it will change. Callie loved yogurt, now she said she has "Checked it out and it is not for her anymore". Next month we will see. Please don't stress about food, they are happy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete