Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Help! I have picky eaters!

I love being a mom and I don't want this post to think I'm complaining about being a mom because I'm not, I guess I just need help or advice!  So all of you mommies out there reading this please let me know any suggestions on how to help me!

It's extremely frustering when you cook/prepare meals three times a day and you spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking, cleaning and doing it over and over again and then your kids don't eat all the hard work you made. Here's an example of what I made today...marinated pork tenderloin, baked sliced potatoes, and brocolli drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.
Here's how it looks like on the kids plate....I even gave them ketchup to dip the pork into since they like to dip things.
Olivia, bless her heart, loves broccoli!  She had 3 helpings of broccoli but didn't touch her pork or potatoes so I'm happy that she ate the broccoli but not happy that she didn't eat any pork or potatoes. BTW I love how she's holding a fork in one hand and feeding herself with the other hand.  She can use a fork.
Luca, on the other hand, has been my very PICKY eater.  He ate all the ketchup, yep, all the ketchup...that's it!  He took a bite of pork and spit it out.  He didn't touch the potatoes or the broccoli.  So here's my dilemma...what do you do?  Do you cook them something separate that they like?  Then I feel like a restaurant!  Their pediatrician told me that if they are hungry they will eat.  He told me not to make them anything else or offer them anything else.  He told me before bedtime I can offer a fruit or vegetable as a snack.  One thing that we do, is that if we feel he ate most of his meal, we'll give him an incentive, a cookie or something they like.  Sometimes it works and sometimes, like today, it doesn't. 

Luca used to be a GREAT eater.  He would eat almost anything and everything.  He used to love fruit - he would eat a banana EVERY morning for the longest time.  Since this summer he hasn't eaten a banana.  So, I've been making their pancakes with mashed bananas.  He also doesn't eat veggies so I'll make their french toast and waffles with sweet potatoes in it.  I'll also make homemade mac n cheese with sweet potatoes in it, too.  He used to eat peas that I would put in my spaghetti sauce now he'll pick them all out.  It's really frusterating. I only give them snacks between breakfast and lunch which I usually give them goldfish, crackers or fruit snacks.  (I'm thinking maybe I need to stop with that and they'll be more hungry and I'll have a better chance they'll eat more?)  Anyway, any suggestions on how I can succesfully get my kids to eat a healthy meal will be much appreciated! :)
I'll end this post on a postive and cute story.  Luca normally wakes up first and will crawl in bed with me in the morning and watch cartoons, then Olivia will wake up about a half hour later and we'll go downstairs and eat breakfast.  Lately, Olivia has been waking up shortly after Luca, so she joins us in bed and will watch some cartoons.  Today, she said to Luca "I love you" and he said back to her "I love you, too!"  I wanted to cry especially when they gave eachother a kiss right after that!  Even though I have picky eaters, I have the sweetest kids ever! :)

1 comment:

  1. I love Olivia's face!! Maybe if you tell them you'll sprinkle magic snacks all over their food,then maybe they will eat it.

    ReplyDelete