Monday, January 27, 2014

Olivia's Conference

I was anticipating this conference because here in Ohio a lot of people hold their kids back if they have a "late" birthday. Personally, my Birthday is in October and I started Kindergarten when I was 4 without even going to pre-school.  I never felt young or behind.  The only negative that I remember was that I was always the shortest but that didn't really bother me and getting my license so late but I knew my parents weren't going to even let me drive when I turned 16 anyway bc they were so strict.  Anyway, a lot of O's classmates Birthdays are also June, July, August and September Birthdays and they are all holding them back for another year of pre-school. We had always planned on having O go to Kindergarten next year but I wanted to make sure her teachers thought she would be ok with going, too. 

They told me that Olivia was the Ring Leader (a positive leader) with all the girls in her class.  She usually is the one that leads them around the room in the different areas of play. They said she likes the writing station and the dramatic play area but she does a good job rotating all throughout the entire room.  I was a little surprised as I guess I am used to Luca being the leader at home so I'm sure she enjoys being the leader at school.  They said she is VERY social which was good.  She follows directions, listens, does her work fast because she wants to play but it is very good.  She knows her patterns, opposites, and participates in class.  They did say she is still a little chatty but is getting better at not talking as much during circle time with her friends.  They said she catches on quickly and they really enjoy having her in class.  She is never one to tattle and knows how to handle social situations ie kids not playing what she wants them to play.  When I asked if they thought she was ready for kindgergarten they said yes.  It's so weird that she will be a kindergartner next year!

On a side note, I have been feeling that Olivia is a little behind compared to where Luca was in pre-school.  He was starting to read small books (Level 1 and 2 books from the library).  Starting in January I have been working with her on sight words and she already knows at least 25 or more.  We have been working on reading Level 1 books and since they are very repetitive and require looking at the pictures she is starting to do well with it.  I also bought her this huge pre-school worksheet book and she does about 4-6 worksheets a day.  I am working hard on getting her ready!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment